Museum of the city and territory in Monsummano
In Monsummano there is the Museum of the City and Territory, housed in the ancient pilgrim’s lodging.
This building was built in 1600, at the request of the Grand Duke of Tuscany, to welcome visitors and pilgrims who went to the Sanctuary of Fontenuova.
The following century became the headquarters of the Community of the Two Lands which united the municipalities of Monsummano and Montevettolini; but it was in the 90s, after a major restoration, that the first floor of the museum was opened.
This museum collects the history of settlements and of the development of the Valdinievole territories, with a part dedicated to the reclamation of the Fucecchio marsh and the interaction between man and the environment.
The Museum organizes educational workshops for schools and exhibitions of artists of the territory. Inside there are sections dedicated to the various historical periods that have transformed the Valdinievole, to the Sanctuary of Fontenuova and to the great names of Art and Science originating in this territory.
The Museum has been recognized as a Museum of regional importance and promotes research, laboratories and studies with the aim of promoting and enhancing our territory.
For more info: http://www.museoterritorio.it/en/
Photo: Davide Papalini, Monsummano Terme-monumento Giuseppe Giusti, CC BY-SA 3.0